Wednesday, October 19, 2016

But...

Sometimes, keeping my mouth shut isn't easy. There are times when I hear something said that makes my eye twitch but the situation demands that I hold my tongue. One such incident sparked this blog.

The other night, a man who calls himself a pastor made a statement that made my blood boil. In the midst of a conversation, he said, "I know what the Scriptures say, but I believe this" and then proceeded to explain his view on the topic. I was a common view in the church and almost Biblical but not quite. Just a hint, if you have to express your belief with the statement, "I know what the Scriptures say but," you've probably believed something that isn't true.

Of course, this idea isn't new. People and teachers have crafted their own beliefs for centuries. Ignoring or using the Word out of context are the oldest deceptions the enemy has in his arsenal. If he can get us to live our lives based upon lies and spread them, he wins. Eventually, he can convince us of anything the further we get from the grounding of the Word.

Remember, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." (II Tim 3:16,17) That's pretty clear. Ignore the Scriptures at your own peril. Teach others to do likewise, the peril increases. "My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment." (James 3:1) That verse gives me chills every time I read it. Each time I get behind a mic or take the platform, I remember that verse and focus on what the Word says. Those who would disregard any part of the Bible would do well to remember the same.

However, there are times that someone could say "I know what the Scriptures say but..." and it be perfectly acceptable. It all depends on what follows. Obviously, the previous and all too common use leading to false teachings and justification of sin isn't one that works well. In contrast, consider the following: 
  • I know what the Scriptures say but I'm having a hard time understanding it. 
  • I know what the Scriptures say but I don't know how to live it out. 
  • I know what the Scriptures say but I have questions. 

Do you see the difference? The first use justifies the flesh but these come from a place of humility and a desire to grow. Asking questions seeking understanding is essential to anyone who follows Christ. No matter how long someone has served the Lord, no matter how well one knows the Word, there is still more to learn. We can grow only when we are seeking knowledge and how to gain true Godly wisdom from that knowledge.

If the latter is how you approach the "but," you're in good company. Seek the Lord diligently, "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (II Tim 2:15) That comes from seeking understanding and wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. "I know what the Bible says but..." is often followed by some 'new' explanation of an old heresy.

    "Some people even choose a teacher alive today, and except his original interpretation of Scripture; but a person who claims, in the 21st-century, to have found something in the Bible that no one else ever saw before has probably found something that is not really there."
    ~Frederica Matthews-Green, "Welcome to the Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity~

    ReplyDelete